Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Daily Mosh Forums.

Sign up now to get access to the members only downloads section and become a member of our community of 10k+ members!

Enjoy your stay!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Help me build a PC?; 1000-1200 USD$!
Topic Started: Jul 8 2016, 05:30 AM (244 Views)
Poembie
Member Avatar
Daily Spammer
My laptop crashed last night and I'm thinking of getting a desktop or all-in-one.

I'm not really a gamer, but watch a lot of movies and listen to a lot of music on my computer. These last few years I've only bought laptops, so not really up to date with what's happening in the desktop and all-in-one world.

I'd say I'm willing to spend 1000-1200 USD.

Any recommendations?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liggy
Member Avatar
Hello Japan

I mean, you could get an all-in-one but I really have no clue if they're worth it. A desktop would be very suitable for movies and especially music. I pretty much use my PC for a movie setup when I'm not gaming and that consists of Kodi, VLC, and/or Netflix occasionally.

xSirPumpkinx
Member Avatar
Daily Spammer
For 1,200 USD you could build a beastly gaming system. If you're only looking for something for media and casual browsing, you don't need to spend nearly that much.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Imma change your title and subject to something that might help more

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
Poembie
Jul 8 2016, 05:30 AM
My laptop crashed last night and I'm thinking of getting a desktop or all-in-one.

I'm not really a gamer, but watch a lot of movies and listen to a lot of music on my computer. These last few years I've only bought laptops, so not really up to date with what's happening in the desktop and all-in-one world.

I'd say I'm willing to spend 1000-1200 USD.

Any recommendations?
Well, considering that you don't game, the budget is definitely more than enough. I've put together something for you, that certainly is cheaper than pre-build machines. Obviously, you would need to build it yourself, but there are many fantastic guides on YouTube that'll help you with it.

If you don't trust yourself to build a PC, then going for a decent pre-build PC or Laptop certainly would be a decent option. In terms of performance, you really don't need a whole lot, the only thing you really need, at least what I gather, is a decent amount of storage.

I've put together something on PCPartPicker, depending on where you live, you obviously would need to look up pricing and availability in China, but most of the parts should be available at alternate.be, with decent pricing.

CPU: I went with a dual-core i3 here because of the very good price-to-performance. Although it only has two cores, it's still more than enough computing power for your needs and very good integrated graphics, that will be able to power a 1080p monitor without any issue and shouldn't have too much trouble displaying content in 1440p or even 4k. The other option would be to go for a low-end i5, which has 4 cores but a lower clock, and it would cost about 50$ more.

Motherboard: Went for a decent H170 motherboard from ASUS. ASUS is generally a very well regarded manufacturer, and the H170 chipset offers all of the benefits of the newest Intel platform, without having any unneccesary features, that you simply won't utilize, which gives us the opportunity to save a little money, without sacrifising functionality, compatibility and quality.

RAM: 8GB is more than enough for your everyday needs, like media consumption, browsing the web (with a decent amount of tabs open) and using office programs. 4GB would also be enough, but going for 8GB is more than enough RAM, even in the long run.

Storage: I went for the combination of a 250GB SSD for your operating system and essential programs (Browser, office programs, etc.) and a traditional 2TB hard drive for mass storage for all of your documents, movies and music. Obviously, depending on your needs you could swap out the hard drive for a bigger one (3, 4, even 6TB) if needed. If you're relying heavily on external storage, you might even get away by going for a smaller 1TB hard drive, saving money in the process.

Power Supply: I went for a decent wattage 80+ Bronze rated power supply, which is semi-modular. It means that some of the cables are removeable, which in turn reduces the cable clutter and can help to maintain and/or improve air flow. Seasonic is one of the very few OEM's in the power supply business and the G-Series is, like I said, a very well regarded power supply. With 550W you have more than enough juice left if you ever decide to get into PC gaming and might want to throw in a dedicated graphics card.

Case: I went for a micro-ATX case for now, where you have enough space for you motherboard, which also is a micro-ATX form factor and enough space and options for expandability in the future. It obviously isn't anything fancy, but I don't think you're really looking for something fancy. Obviously, by going with a micro-ITX motherboard and case you could drastically shrink down the size of your PC, if space is an issue.

Misc.: For other parts, I just chose Windows for now. Other things you obviously need include a monitor as well as a keyboard and mouse. You can obviously use a TV as a monitor, just make sure it has a HDMI port. For the keyboard and mouse, I'd personally go for just a nice bundled combination, both Logitech as well as Microsoft offer decent bundles for not a lot of money. You may also want to invest in some speakers, if you're not using headphones. Again, Logitech offers some decent, low-cost options.

If you have any additional question, feel free to ask, we're all here to help you and to make your transition over in the master race as easy and comfortable as possible :fed:
Edited by Homicidium, Jul 9 2016, 03:40 PM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · PC & Mac · Next Topic »
Add Reply

edge created by tiptopolive of IDS