Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Daily Mosh Forums.

Sign up now to get access to the members only downloads section and become a member of our community of 10k+ members!

Enjoy your stay!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
MacBook Air vs. New MacBook
Topic Started: Apr 6 2015, 03:05 PM (1,501 Views)
Aquafina
Member Avatar
Black My Heart
Does anyone have any thoughts on the newest MacBook Air vs the new Macbook?

I made a thread months ago about possibly getting a new computer and I think that time has come so I just want an honest opinion from any mac gurus on here.

The new Macbook looks flawless and I love the huge keyboard and the redesigned track pad, but... Looking at the specs, the Air beats it out in just about all categories. I could care less about spending an extra $100 just for a gold or black edition.

My main uses will be school work (word, excel, etc), work (lots of internet use and emails), plus an entertainment factor since i'm on the go so much (music, movies), and occasionally playing a game or two, nothing to hefty.

Im leaning more towards the air because I think it will suffice for what I need and save me some money. Or if you can convince me to get another Pro, I might be talked into that but I honestly do not think I need a laptop that powerful for everything I need to do on it.

TLDR: What one is better for every day shit, whats the big differences?
Edited by Aquafina, Apr 6 2015, 03:12 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Colton
Member Avatar
FAGGOT

Get the newest air you can. Has all the ports you need and better specs. You really should wait for the second iteration of whatever Apple makes. I imagine in 2 or 3 generations the macbook will be a killer product. But really, its all down to your preference. You have pretty simple demands it seems, nothing too power heavy at all so both the air and the macbook will perform fine.

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
MacBook Air hands down, don't even bother with the MacBook, not only is the Air in general a lot better/faster in terms of computing, but you also don't need to buy any kind of adapters to even plug something in.

So:
- Faster hardware
- more I/O

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

The new mac has less parts inside of it than a cell phone. Fuck that new mac.

Zeke
Member Avatar
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

MacBooks are dope (by MacBook I mean every Apple computer in general, sorry). I cannot give an advice in the topic as I don't have one (only using Iza's when I'm at her place), plus I've always had either Windows or Linux. Wish programming was more supported on Macs.

buryhatchets
Member Avatar
We live in a world of hatred.
the thing that kills the new macbook is a couple of things:

1) adapters out the ass for TYPE C USB. Those shits are going to be expensive especially if you have external drives, hdmi ports, and etc.

2) UNDERPOWERED AF. the intel m processor is something you'd see on a low end dell

3) 460p camera. weak as hell.

Aquafina
Member Avatar
Black My Heart
buryhatchets
Apr 6 2015, 04:06 PM
the thing that kills the new macbook is a couple of things:

1) adapters out the ass for TYPE C USB. Those shits are going to be expensive especially if you have external drives, hdmi ports, and etc.

2) UNDERPOWERED AF. the intel m processor is something you'd see on a low end dell

3) 460p camera. weak as hell.
So you suggest the Air?

buryhatchets
Member Avatar
We live in a world of hatred.
for that price, i would just shell out the money for a 13in pro with retina. you'll still get the force touchpad and wayyyy more power

PositiveCreep
Member Avatar
Bout It
Aquafina
Apr 6 2015, 03:05 PM
My main uses will be school work (word, excel, etc), work (lots of internet use and emails), plus an entertainment factor since i'm on the go so much (music, movies), and occasionally playing a game or two, nothing to hefty.

Based on what you're intending to use it with, I'd go with the air. The new macbook is just for show, literally. The air has everything you want in it and it's more cost effective than getting that new macbook. I don't know if you're serious about gaming on it though, otherwise I'd suggest you listen to him^ and get the 13" macbook pro with a retina display.

Sk8-Rat
Member Avatar
BAD CHARACTER
we already had a small discussion on this a few weeks ago the day of the announcements. apple totally failed with the "macbook". i can see the assholes now around college campuses worldwide with their gold shitbooks thinking they have this cool piece of fanless technology. IMO if you are considering getting one of these abominations you could save yourself a shit ton by getting an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard and you would probably be better off too. if you have to get an apple go with an air or a pro.

oh and if you want to get a shitbook be prepared for adaptors out the ass and spend some extra $$$

Posted Image

EDIT: and not the retina pro, just the regular one. you get a 2.5" drive bay, which you can put your own SSD in AND you have the option to remove the optical drive for a second disc drive. you also get the option to swap RAM because its not soldered to the board. thats my 2 cents. good luck lol.
Edited by Sk8-Rat, Apr 7 2015, 12:02 PM.

Aquafina
Member Avatar
Black My Heart
Just an update: I went ahead and got the Macbook Air, haven't charged it in a week so far (not much use but still). This thing rules. Those new MacBooks look awesome but when an apple employee tells you not to get it, thats usually a sign.

Now I just need to figure out how to wipe off my old Macbook Pro and restore to original settings because I'm giving it to my little brother.

Colton
Member Avatar
FAGGOT

Aquafina
May 8 2015, 09:00 PM
Just an update: I went ahead and got the Macbook Air, haven't charged it in a week so far (not much use but still). This thing rules. Those new MacBooks look awesome but when an apple employee tells you not to get it, thats usually a sign.

Now I just need to figure out how to wipe off my old Macbook Pro and restore to original settings because I'm giving it to my little brother.
Google!

And make sure to sign out of everything. Messages, facetime, safari, everything. Then you should be good I believe.

marchewia
Member Avatar
Daily Spammer
good decision. I hope I'll get a newer MB this year, because I still use mb white which is super old and super slow especially when I have to work in illustrator and photoshop at the same time

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
marchewia
May 9 2015, 01:24 PM
good decision. I hope I'll get a newer MB this year, because I still use mb white which is super old and super slow especially when I have to work in illustrator and photoshop at the same time
Are you also venturing out into video editing? If so, you might want to consider going to straight for a MacBook Pro.

If not, even a mid-range MacBook Air should do the trick, but whatever you going to do, just please for the love of all that is holy, don't get the MacBook.

@Aquafina: Good call on the purchase, dude! It's surprising that even Apple Store employees tell you not to go for a more expensive device, apparently some more capable and knowledgeable folks work in your Apple Store than in my local Apple Store :D

marchewia
Member Avatar
Daily Spammer
Homicidium
May 9 2015, 02:18 PM
marchewia
May 9 2015, 01:24 PM
Are you also venturing out into video editing? If so, you might want to consider going to straight for a MacBook Pro.

If not, even a mid-range MacBook Air should do the trick, but whatever you going to do, just please for the love of all that is holy, don't get the MacBook.

@Aquafina: Good call on the purchase, dude! It's surprising that even Apple Store employees tell you not to go for a more expensive device, apparently some more capable and knowledgeable folks work in your Apple Store than in my local Apple Store :D
lol I'm definitely not getting this new macbook. I don't like it at all. I'm mostly using just Illustrator, PS and InDesign. Will use Premiere too, but that's only for uni, 1-2 semesters and I'll be done with it

PositiveCreep
Member Avatar
Bout It
Remember to deauthorise your iTunes account.

Colton
Member Avatar
FAGGOT

a lot of people have been reviewing the new macbook and its actually not as bad as we were making it out to be.

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
Colton
May 9 2015, 08:29 PM
a lot of people have been reviewing the new macbook and its actually not as bad as we were making it out to be.
Even the Apple lovers over at the Verge have said that it's not good.

However I do agree with their verdict that the MacBook is going to be the beginning of the "new era of laptops" and they're right. However it simply is laking the performance to be a valid alternative to the MacBook Air, which not only offers more performance especially in editing, but is also cheaper.
Then there's the 480p camera, which is simply outdated and was a mistake to include in the MacBook. And just one USB Type C connector is just not enough, since it's simply not enough input considering that you do everything with it, meaning that when you charge you cannot plug in a USB device for example, to do that you have to buy an expensive adapter.

By just adding another USB C connector the issue would've been a lot smaller, which the new Chromebook Pixel shows.

In the end, it's just a glorified iPad in a different form factor, but undoubtably the future of the notebook.

Tucker
Member Avatar
ACAB
Yeah Iza if you are doing video editing you are better off with a macbook pro unless you get an iMac or mac pro. Apple computers are the best for music and video by far.

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
Tucker
Jun 4 2015, 07:10 PM
Apple computers are the best for music and video by far.
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaahh, no. Apple isn't, OS X is, at least to some degree.

A lot of the programs used by some big and even the biggest studios out there are based on Linux or Windows, but then again some other products are OS X - only. What you will see very often are people building regular PCs and then using Virtual machines to have Linux and Windows and OS X for their respective programs they need to use, at least in video creation and animation studios.

Just imagine Pixar only using Mac Pros to create their movies, it would take A LOT longer to finish even only a couple of animated scenes if they'd just use standard or even the highest end Mac Pros. Or rather you'd need a lot of Mac Pros to match the raw computing power of a dedicated render farm.
Edited by Homicidium, Jun 11 2015, 05:29 AM.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · PC & Mac · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

edge created by tiptopolive of IDS