Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Daily Mosh Forums.

Sign up now to get access to the members only downloads section and become a member of our community of 10k+ members!

Enjoy your stay!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The General PC Thread; Let's talk PC
Topic Started: Mar 10 2013, 11:54 AM (40,470 Views)
Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
Hey Guys!

So, since a lot of people created quite a lot threads about building or upgrading their PC, I thought it might be a good idea to create a general thread, where everyone can post something about their plans to upgrade and are in need for some recommendations or have a general problem with their PC.

This is the thread where you can put all this, and I really hope that this is a more clearer way to organize it :)

Reference post:

Ultimate GPU guide
Edited by Homicidium, Oct 7 2015, 04:06 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liggy
Member Avatar
Hello Japan

Pee See

The Matt Reptar
Member Avatar
PRSVR

I'd just like to point out that I cleaned out my computer a couple hours ago and there was so much dust in my power supply. Some of it was black. I've never cleaned it out. 4 years of dust. I usually do the rest of my computer every couple months. First time doing the power supply.

Also, what's the optimal temp for a computer? I have a screen on the front of my tower that since cleaning out the power supply hasn't gone over 25C/80F. I'm pretty sure this is only the power supply temp though. It didn't even go over when I was playing some Tomb Raider. The screen usually shows 95F to 102F when playing games.

I've read that you really only to be concerned if the components of your computer reach 90C. Is this correct?

EDIT: What's a good PC temp monitoring program?
Edited by The Matt Reptar, Mar 10 2013, 12:08 PM.

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
Yes. Usually it's 80C for the CPU and 100C for the GPU.
Some CPU's have other temps, like my 1075T x6 AMD is only scaled up to 70C, anything beyond could (!) damage it.

If you want to read out the temps of your components you can either download HWMonitor or SpeedFan. Of course there's always a gap between the temps the program displays and what the actual temperatures are. If you want to see the real temperatures you gonna have to check in your BIOS. But the program gives you a rough idea about what the temps really are.

I usually clean out my PC every 3 Months with cleaning the dustfilters with the vacuum cleaner once every week.

Links to the programs:
SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Edited by Homicidium, Mar 10 2013, 12:16 PM.

Budhapoo
Member Avatar
Forum Shit Talker and Troll
So. I wanna build a PC. The laptop I have is doing good for everday shit..but its suckin dick now. I got about a 1k budget , maybe a bit more...but like Ryan im gonna buy piece by piece...I want this to be for gaming , movies , music. HELP ME MY GURUS

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
As in the PM, I posted this bad boy of a system :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/IN21

zdmetal
Member Avatar
Mosh God
If you're building a PC for gaming like I did I have one piece of advice for you. Don't skimp out on the video card like my dumb ass. The one I bought was around $130 at the time and is already struggling with some of the newer stuff. Spend at least $175-200 on your card if you want it to last a year.

Budhapoo
Member Avatar
Are these hard to put together? Any reccomendations for a monitor?

zdmetal
Member Avatar
Mosh God
Budhapoo
Mar 10 2013, 06:30 PM
Are these hard to put together? Any reccomendations for a monitor?
It's all pretty easy actually. It might seem daunting initially but once you have all the shit it's fairly obvious where everything goes. The most confusing/hardest part is probably making sure you have the processor in the socket correctly and the heat sink snapped down on top of the processor right.

As far as a monitor I'd recommend a 24" @ 1920x1080. You could probably get by with a smaller monitor just fine but make sure it's 1080p. I have a 1600x900 sitting next to my 1920x1080 and it looks like complete shit.

Budhapoo
Member Avatar
I'm gonna buy this piece by piece...also give me time to make a new little station for my computer somewhere out of the way where I can do my thing.

KUATO2084
Member Avatar
Daily Mosher
check this thing out: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/09/pre-order-the-first-living-room-pc-gaming-console.aspx

staycruel
Member Avatar
Come and take them
KUATO2084
Mar 10 2013, 08:04 PM
That's neat!

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

STAYCRUEL
Mar 10 2013, 08:57 PM
This is essentially what I tried to build. Tried to go for the same concept and limited my budget to the same price as a console. I dont have a GPU yet but even without it I can play a decent amount of games. I can only imagine how much its gonna rape once I get the GPU. Still gotta grab another 4gb memory stick from the local shop in a few week too.

Budhapoo
Member Avatar
I wanna stray away from the console slowly...almost everything I do is on my laptop...I get bored of playing a game , I gotta turn the console off , go to the laptop...etc. I just want a all in one system.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Budhapoo
Mar 10 2013, 09:53 PM
I wanna stray away from the console slowly...almost everything I do is on my laptop...I get bored of playing a game , I gotta turn the console off , go to the laptop...etc. I just want a all in one system.
Yeah thats what I wanted to do too. I just gotta get used to using a mouse or just use a wired xbox 360 controller and then itll be like Im playing on a console anyway. The console game is just a waste a fucking money. $500-$600 every so many years, 70$ per game, and the games are usually mediocre at best. Then once the console is out dated you gotta drop another $600. Its just one big waste of money.

Budhapoo
Member Avatar
Also. Dem emulators on PC's :datass:

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

haha exactly! This guy makes some great sarcastic points. STarts making the points around 1:15

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xU9iKA19mQ[/utube]

staycruel
Member Avatar
Come and take them
I really need to get an external drive to store music on, anyone recommend a certain one?

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

STAYCRUEL
Mar 10 2013, 11:12 PM
I really need to get an external drive to store music on, anyone recommend a certain one?
IMO youd be better off buying an internal hard drive separately and then you can choose any external case you want to put it in. Itll probably be like $30-$50 cheaper that way too

Homicidium
Member Avatar
the tech guy
STAYCRUEL
Mar 10 2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-500GB-Portable-External-Storage/dp/B006Y5UV4U/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362986854&sr=1-7&keywords=external+hard+drive

A friend of mine uses this one. Since it has USB 3.0 it's fairly quick and not too big.
Most important thing for me is though, that it gets it's power through the USB and not with a external power brick.

There are also a 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB Version of it. Also 750 and 320GB.
Edited by Homicidium, Mar 11 2013, 03:29 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · PC & Mac · Next Topic »
Add Reply

edge created by tiptopolive of IDS