Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Daily Mosh Forums.

Sign up now to get access to the members only downloads section and become a member of our community of 10k+ members!

Enjoy your stay!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Rainmeter; Like rocketdock but not as gay.
Topic Started: Jan 7 2011, 05:49 PM (2,890 Views)
PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/

Posted Image

Just downloaded this program. Fucked with it for like an hour and I love it. Anyone else try this?
Edited by PYRAMIDS, Jan 7 2011, 06:31 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tatuhs
Member Avatar
Fully armed with light, illuminate the night.
It looks pretty cool. I wanna read more about it before I install it though.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Its minimal. Its basically embedded into your wallpaper. You set up the values for each thing then add em. If you look on the picture I got RSS feeds to my twitter, itleaked, and the tdm blog that updates in real time. And yeah, it takes up like no CPU usage at all either.

Oh and you can get different skins for it and icons for programs and whatnot like rocketdock.

Pwner
Member Avatar
Holy Jeez?

Interesting.. and it seems a little easier to understand/customize/use than rocketdock. I'll mess with this in a little bit. Nice find ryan.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

OMGLOLWTF
Jan 8 2011, 11:37 AM
Interesting.. and it seems a little easier to understand/customize/use than rocketdock. I'll mess with this in a little bit. Nice find ryan.
Yeah man, theres literally hundreds of plug ins and ways to customize its looks. You can make it look the way I did or you can just use plug ins and make it look like this:

Posted Image

Its basically a program to mesh your wallpaper with useful widgets. Glad youre liking it. If you run into any problems let me know because setting it up can be a bit complicated at times. And theres literally hundreds of plug ins and skins at deviantart.

Oh and also the "Now Playing" section on the image I posted would normally have the album cover and a mini player there like so:

Posted Image
And if you dont like it there you can put it into the bottom taskbar instead.
Edited by PYRAMIDS, Jan 8 2011, 12:00 PM.

Pwner
Member Avatar
Holy Jeez?

Is there a specific section for this stuff on deviantart or can you just link me with a few?

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

OMGLOLWTF
Jan 8 2011, 12:01 PM
Is there a specific section for this stuff on deviantart or can you just link me with a few?
depends on what you want really.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=rainmeter+skins

this search should have alittle of everything.

Once you download the zip file of the plug in you want go to My Documents/Rainmeter/Skins and copy the plug in folder to Skins. Right click the rainmeter logo on your taskbar, select Refresh All, then select the plug in from "Config" from the right click menu. As I said it could be alittle complicating at first but take 5 mins to figure everything out and its a cakewalk.

And if you want RSS feeds just go into the options and change the info on the RSS Reader shit. But when you change info in the settings make sure you click "Set Value" after typing it out or it wont save.

Oh and for a layout I recommend Enigma, which is a default. Then just add shit on from there.

Some other skins:
http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/?q=Downloads

Pwner
Member Avatar
Holy Jeez?

Sweet. I read through the skin shit on the rainmeter site and it didn't sound to bad, I should be able to figure it out.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Yeah its all really easy. The hardest part was getting the twitter feed tbh. Only reason why is because they changed the authentication on twitter which makes it impossible to get a twitter feed but theres a work around for that.

And if you end up getting the weather on your dock to get the "code" for it to work for your city:

Quote:

Here's how I find my weather location code in Enigma:
1) Go to http://weather.yahoo.com/ and type in your zip code (or your city).
2) If there is more than one choice, pick the one you want.
3) Locate the link "extended forecast" under "6-10 day" column. Click it.
4) Look at the URL address bar. You should see something like
www.weather.com/...../extended/xxxxxx
The 8-letter code xxxxxx should be your weather location code. In your case, it is USVA0262.

Or
Go directly to http://www.weather.com, type in the city or zip code, and then look at the URL in the similar manner.

Man this theme is sick. They have tons for diff game themes and those game boxes are actual icons to click to launch the games.

Posted Image

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

For skins:

http://customize.org/rainmeter

the plug ins are called skins too for some reason.

and you can make your desktop look like a fucking PS3, so sick.

Posted Image

Tatuhs
Member Avatar
Fully armed with light, illuminate the night.
Damn thats cool

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Posted Image

check out this XBL plug in ;)
I edited it a bit by removing its background and took out the gamerpic that would be under the recnet games and shit.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Oh snap you can add your most recent played last.fm tracks RSS feed into that shit too. Well, pretty much any feed from last.fm. Not just your recent tracks. I fucking love this shit.

GhostyPoo
Member Avatar
like i said, that takes a grown fucking man right there....stay classy
I know what I'm doing today. :thumbsup:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pwner
Member Avatar
Holy Jeez?

GhostOfAStranger
Jan 8 2011, 03:08 PM
+1

:laugh:

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

GhostOfAStranger
Jan 8 2011, 03:08 PM
haha if you need any help just ask. You dont have to make it look like mine either. You can take away the sidebar backgrounds and just use the widgets. If you get a wallpaper that would work good with the widgets you can just place the widgets all over your desktop to look like your widgets are a part of your wallpaper.

If you want to know if theres widgets for certain programs and sites (facebook, PS3 friends and so on) just google rainmeter and the word you want. To find the XBL widget I just typed Rainmeter xbox live in google and found it that way.

Then once you get the zip folder of the plug in (skin) you want just extract to it my documents/rainmeter/skins and then you can add it by right clicking on rainmeter/Rainmeter Menu/Config then select your new plug in to add it.

I now replaced my TDM RSS Feed with an RSS feed for IPTorrents so I can stay ontop of movie and tv show leaks.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

I think Im done now. May add more stuff later:

Posted Image

The Matt Reptar
Member Avatar
PRSVR

I found Rainmeter months ago. Stopped using it after a couple weeks.

PYRAMIDS
Member Avatar
👽

Matt Reptar
Jan 8 2011, 05:55 PM
I found Rainmeter months ago. Stopped using it after a couple weeks.
How come? I dont think Ill stop using it anytime soon.

xorangejuicex
Member Avatar
The Real Slim Shady
This is pretty tight. Once I finish customizing it and whatnot I'll post a pic of it :)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · PC & Mac · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

edge created by tiptopolive of IDS